Mellow Mornings at MOXI: Sensory-Friendly Mornings
Mellow Mornings at MOXI: Sensory-Friendly Mornings are an early morning monthly opportunity for children and adults with autism, sensory processing disorders, and/or other cognitive disabilities and their families to experience MOXI. During this time, we make changes to the museum’s exhibit spaces with the intention of making them even more accessible.
Adjustments that will be made for the morning include:
- Select exhibits which generate a lot of noise or light will be turned off or have their sound levels lowered, including the Sound Machine, Reactable, Spinetic Energy Sculpture, Ring Launcher and From Here to There.
- Hand dryers will be powered off or closed off and paper towels will be available in all restrooms.
- The Innovation Workshop and Highland Santa Barbara Foundation Mountain View Terrace will be designated comfort spaces.
- Light will be reduced throughout the museum.
- Printed sensory-friendly maps available.
- Ticket sales will be limited to 50 guests.
As always, sensory backpack kits with resources like noise reducing headphones or earmuffs, fidget spinners, and more will be available for checkout from the front desk. Additionally, paid Personal Care Assistants accompanying a guest with a disability will be admitted for free as always. Read more about MOXI’s accessibility resources here. For a preview of the MOXI experience, download our free app, Access MOXI, designed especially for those with autism and other sensory issues. The app is available for iOs and Android.
Upcoming Dates + Times
Saturday, October 22, 9 AM – 10 AM
Saturday, November 12, 9 AM – 10 AM
Saturday, December 3, 9 AM – 10 AM
Saturday, January 7, 9 AM – 10 AM
Adults (13+): $18
Children (3 – 12): $14
EBT Cardholders: $1 per member of household
FREE for Personal Care Assistants (PCAs), MOXI Members, and Children 2 and under.
FREE for MOXI Members.